A Travellerspoint blog

November 1963 to November 2014: A Day in Dallas

George Reporting

sunny 67 °F

One of the fun things about traveling is that sometimes you don't really know what you will see on any given day.

For instance, one morning we awaken in the gated community of Conroe, Texas and discover that, in order to get to our next hotel near Dallas/Ft Worth airport, we need to go through Dealey Plaza in downtown Dallas.

It never occurred to me that we might visit the site where President John F. Kennedy while traveling in Texas, yet, he we were strolling through this historic spot at roughly the same month and time where the assassination happened 51 years ago.
The plaza looks pretty much the same and it was a surreal experience for Andrea and me even though we were born three years after this watershed event in history. We both felt pretty somber the entire time and couldn't fully understand why other people were smiling as they took tourist pics here.
However, I couldn't resist trying to put myself 'into the shoes' of those who saw it happen.

Mainly, what I'm trying to say is that many times you can wake up and later find yourself in a place that has incredible significance without planning it.

Most of our travel days are like that and I find it difficult to describe the feeling to you. I guess it's like waking up and someone telling you it's really your birthday, or something like that.

We noticed that the picket fences behind the famous Grassy Knoll had dozens of remembrances scratched on them. It was very poignant to stumble upon these. Later we drove the Spark over the exact same route and headed to our hotel.

And now we are headed to Cancun, Mexico for a few days then it's a 7 day cruise through the Caribbean and then.....???

Wish us luck!

Posted by woa 13:12 Archived in USA

Table of contents


Wow!, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. I was home sick from school, my mother was ironing clothes in the other room. All of a sudden I heard a scream and then crying and wailing. I rushed in and in between sobs was told what had happened. The television did not go off for the next three days.
I was 8 years old.

by sylviamarie

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.